Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Stop & Smell the Roses






Last weekend on our "Destination Walking" we stopped to smell the roses at the Park of Roses in Clintonville. It was the weekend of the annual Festival of Roses. Before going on our walk we ate breakfast at Jack & Benny’s, a favorite breakfast spot near the OSU Campus. It was so crowded that we ate at the counter, right by the grill. Jack & Benny’s has been rated a Citysearch Best breakfast restaurant with serving breakfast all day. I would only give it a 3 ½ on a scale of 5. (My personal favorite is Tommy's Diner)

I like going to the Festival of Roses because it reminds me of my dad. Every Saturday I helped dad work in the yard which included tending a special rose bed by the garage. After we trimmed the roses we would have to put peat moss around them. Peat moss enriched the soil and made the beds more attractive (those were the days before mulch). Walking through the Park of Roses made for a nice way to remember my dad on Father’s Day.

Nearby the Park of Roses is what must be a 12,000 – 15,000 square foot home. Someone bought three houses and remodeled them into one big one. It’s not for sale, but I thought about buying it. Well, maybe not. The house across the street is for sale but it’s only 5,200 square ft. for only $585,000. I guess I’ll have to be content to just stop and smell the roses, which is a pretty good idea after all.

No comments: