Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Why Are You So Happy?

Since, I’m a pastor, I’m often in the hospital. Not because I’m sick, but because I’m visiting people who are. It’s not a very “fun” place to visit, but I’m reminded that we are to “rejoice with those who rejoice and sorrow with those who sorrow” so I visit as often as I can. One time, while visiting, I stopped by the cafeteria. There was a drinking fountain there so I leaned down to get a drink, but just as I did the water squirted into my face instead of my mouth. As I stood there wiping water off my face, someone, thinking I was wiping away tears, stopped to see if they could help. I was a little embarrassed but humbled to think that someone I didn’t even know cared.

Another time I was in the cafeteria getting carry-out. (I guess I love cafeteria food). While checking out the cashier said you must be going to the sixth floor.” I said, “you’re right, how did you know?” She said, “because, nobody else is happy.” I was happy and I was going to the sixth floor, because I was going to eat with my wife and our son who was just born.

This past Friday I stopped by to visit with Sandi and her family and entourage of friends who were all waiting with her during Stef’s surgery. (That could be another story, but we’ll save that for later). While there we got the good news that they were able to remove a major amount of the cancer including a tumor the size of a soft ball without having to remove any part of the colon or intestine. We stopped then and there to thank God for answered prayer. I know God can do anything he chooses and whatever he does is “good”, but once in a while it’s good to “rejoice with those who rejoice as well as sorrow with those who sorrow.” Keep praying for Stef and for Sandi and their precious children. It’s good news but their journey is far from over.

1 comment:

clayburkle said...

I love the fountain water in the face bit... gave me a good laugh.