Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Like "Ike"


No, it's not a political statement, it's my opinion of the recent hurricane named Ike. I like Ike not because of the death and devastation it left in it’s path but because of the brief moment in time in which I experienced what it was like before electricity. I doubt I would ever want to go back to life in the “dark ages,” but there were some elements of not having electricity that I enjoyed.

For one I didn’t have to worry about answering any e-mails. (I was glad for my cell phone though) . . .For another I got to meet neighbors I haven’t seen all summer. It seemed like everyone and his proverbial brother was out looking at the storm. We sat out back for a little while and then Carol moved to the shelter of the front porch just in time to watch our neighbors chimney blow over. I told him he won for the house with the most damage. (I don’t know if he thought it was funny or not, but I tried)

Another reason I liked not having electricity is that we went to be earlier. We tried reading but that got tough with just candles. Eventually we gave in a went to bed, which made it easier to get up in the morning.

The power is came back on yesterday, almost 24 hours after it first went out, so guess what we did last night. We stayed up later than usual watching a tv in bed. Oh well so much for life in the “dark ages.”

How about you? Is your electric back on yet? I hope so. If not go to bed early and catch up on your sleep while you still can!

No comments: