Wednesday, January 2, 2008

No Pizza for a Year

That’s not my New Year’s resolution, but it is a New Year’s resolution of a friend of my son’s. He resolved not to eat any pizza for a year and did it. Another year he resolved not to eat any cookies and did it too. I don’t know what his New Year’s resolution is for 2008 but I bet he’ll keep it. Maybe it will be something easier like not breathing!

Most people I know, including myself, are “lucky” to keep their resolutions for a week. Maybe that’s why I have yet to make mine. Yet I think making New Year’s resolutions are a good idea. In fact it was the apostle Paul who said, “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do; forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.” Philippians 3:13

Recently I came across an article by Joan Esherick. (Christianity Today/Today’s Christian Woman) In it she shared what I think are six very helpful hints for making and keeping your New Year’s resolution. I’ve revised them some but basically they are the same as what she said.

  • First be specific. Rather than make a resolution to grow spiritually, resolved to spend 15 minutes a day in personal Bible study
  • Second be realistic. Rather than resolve to get up early every day to pray, resolve to get up early three days a week to pray. Or better rearrange your day when you are already awake to find time to pray.
  • Third find a way to measure your success. A good goal will answer the question of what, how, and when.
  • Fourth think short-term and long-term.
  • Fifth, be flexible.
  • Sixth review and refine your goals regularly.

How about you? What New Year’s resolutions have you made and kept? What is your New Year’s resolution for 2008? What’s your secret for keeping your New Year’s resolution? Let me know, unless it's to not eat pizza.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Denny!

I was determined to spend more time in the Word in 2007 and thanks to my one year Bible(and the Holy Spirit)...I was successful! The One Year Bible is a GREAT tool. It is broken down daily(Jan-Dec)with a passage from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms & Proverbs. I made it through the entire Bible in one year (Psalms & Proverbs twice). What an amazing experience. Not only did I get the satisfaction of becoming familiar with the ENTIRE Bible, but I can't tell you how many times(almost daily)I was amazed by how God spoke to me through his Word. Absolutely Amazing! I started again for 2008 and look forward to the journey.

P.S. Nancy and I are anxious for update(s) on Journey Church, so let your brothers and sisters in cyber space know what's going on!